Hey! Hey, world! Hey, Mom! Welcome to my new site and my first blog post!
Throughout this past year I have been a mad woman. Why? Well, on top of my day job as an architect, I've been spending the majority of my free time painting, practicing calligraphy, starting a small business, experimenting with recipes, washing dishes, planning a 400 person party for my firm, and browsing Ikea or West Elm trying to furnish the new apartment Reuby and I moved into.
These were the thoughts that were constantly running through my head :
"Why am I doing this?!"
"I neeeeeeeeeed to sleep"
"Where's my snack?"
"I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING."
"Reubyyyyyyyyyyy help me!"
Now it is 2017 and I'm still constantly saying these things, but I have finally opened up my Etsy shop and obviously my website is live! Hooray! And I've realized that I have never felt as creative and inspired as I do right now. Painting and cooking feels so great and feels so right!
This blog is a resurrection of the EatChoFood tumblr from my college years...please don't look it up (ah! you're looking it up!). When Reuben first found out about it he proceeded to read the posts out loud, causing me to be completely engulfed in awkwardness and cringe so hard I wanted to hide behind the couch until it was over...
I am not promising this blog will be the new voice of our generation. But I am hoping that this space becomes a place I share my cooking/baking adventures, life moments, personal reflections, and babble about the current news or TV show that's consuming me at the moment.
So to celebrate the beginning of a really exciting journey I made celebratory cupcakes! Black Sesame Cupcakes with Matcha Buttercream. I adapted this Molly Yeh recipe from Food52. I am obsessed with the grey cake and pale green buttercream color combo! The cake is not too sweet, with an amazing earthy nutty flavor from the sesame seeds (what else can I add black sesames to?!). I'm also a firm believer that matcha makes any dessert better.
You guys must make these some time and buy something cute from my shop : )
Black Sesame Cupcakes with Matcha Buttercream
makes 12 cupcakes
1 C (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 C confectioners' sugar
2 tsp matcha green tea powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
6 Tbsp toasted black sesame seeds
1 1/4 C All-purpose flour
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 C unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 C tahini
3/4 C granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 C milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line your cupcake tin with liners.
- Grind the sesame seeds using a spice grinder or a mortar and pestle. I used a mortar an pestle.
- Whisk together the ground sesame seeds, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, tahini, and granulated sugar until light and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla and milk. Gradually add the flour mixture and mix on low speed to combine. Scoop the batter into the muffin cups, distributing evenly.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes, until the cupcakes have slightly puffed and are golden. Test by inserting a toothpick in the center to see if it come out clean. Let the cupcakes cool for a few minutes in the pan, then transfer them out of the pan and onto a wire rack to cool completely. Important that they cool so your buttercream doesn't melt!
- While the cupcakes are in the oven, make the buttercream. Using an electric mixer beat together the butter, confectioners' sugar, matcha powder, and vanilla. Taste and add more sugar or matcha powder if desired.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, use an offset spatula to spread the buttercream over the tops.